Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Prompt: An Issue I Cared About/ Eyes that can't see

I use to call you my friend, with my eyes tied, blindfolded by your lies.
I pushed past all your deceit and retreated to your corner whenever you wanted
a loving ear to hold to your lips, spewing misery and tender moments
open arms ready to embrace you whenever you needed,
outstretched hands whenever you fell...

I use to care about you and so I blinded myself to all your faults,
because that's what friends do-- we look beyond the surface to what
lies beneath and help the meek as we would want to be helped...for at
the end of it all, it is we who will inherit the earth

But your layers ran deep, a dustbowl in the heap of what I thought was
a sincere soul- you're cold and selfish and if I were a witch I'd turn you
into the beast you truly are but I don't have to...for a beast by any other name
will still stink of stale meat.

The turn of the time has removed the tinted shades from my eyes and now
I no longer feel what I thought was a friend but have come face-to-face with
a foe, no longer wanting to be wrapped in your woes, I've grown too old
to play these childhood games, especially when we all know who's to blame.

No longer did I want to care, no longer did I want to hear you, your voice
now the shrieks of banshees, your words dripping with disdain and surprisingly
I truly feel no pain. I let you go, long before you had a chance to know. My lips
may have been shut but my eyes have been wide open...and this was the catalyst
to expedite the termination of this--our one-sided friend relationship.

All you know how to do is take and never give, and that's the kind of life you will
live, continually selfish until your potbelly expels all your negatives and surrounds you
in a pool of your own inner madness, drowned in a pond of all your sadness and my
eyes that couldn't see before, will turn away and let you drown. You are no longer
an issue I care about.

1 comment:

shadowpen said...

I dumped one of my best friends too--everyone thought it was weird to hear me say I "broke up" with her. But I know exactly what it feels like to be on the giving side of a one-sided friendship.
This is well written, too, by the way. Very poetic.